Latest FATCA & QI News
QI News & Alerts: New Form W-8BEN Published
The IRS has published a revised Form W-8BEN and instructions, October 2021 version.
Changes to the form include:
- Check-box to indicate if a foreign TIN is not leagally required;
- Certification regarding withholding on proceeds from the sale of an interest in a U.S. partnership under IRC §1446(f); and
- Check-box to certify authority to sign in case form is not signed by the beneficial owner.
QI News & Alerts: IRS Extends Deadline to Submit QI Periodic Certification
The IRS has issued an automatic extension of the due date to submit the QI periodic certification for QIs that have a certification period ending on December 31, 2020 (e.g., certification period covering 2018 – 2020).
For QIs that intend to perform the periodic review of 2018 or 2019, or intend to request a waiver of the periodic review the extended deadline to submit the QI periodic certification is December 1, 2021.
For QIs that will perform a periodic review of the 2020 tax year, the extended deadline is March 1, 2022.
QI News & Alerts - Reminder of 2021 Filing Dates
2021 QI Deadlines
- February 1: Form 1099 (client copy)
- February 15: Form 1099-B (client copy)
- March 15: Form 1042-S (client/counterparty copy)
- March 15: Form 1042-S (IRS, electronically) – deadline extension to April 14 by timely filing Form 8809
- March 15: Form 1042 (IRS, paper) – deadline extension to September 15 by timely filing Form 7004
- March 31: Form 1099 (IRS, electronically) – deadline extension to April 30 by timely filing Form 8809
- July 1: Periodic Certification, including a Periodic Review or waiver, for QIs that have a certification period ending on December 31, 2020 (e.g., 2018 to 2020)
The QI Solutions group assists financial institutions with FATCA, QI and CRS compliance. Our services include:
- External QI reviewer, assistance for internal QI reviewers, assistance with QI Review sample plan and requesting a waiver of the QI Review;
- Assistance with compiling and submitting RO certifications for QI and FATCA;
- Assistance with QI Reporting and electronic filing of Forms 1042-S and 1099 to the IRS via the IRS FIRE platform; and
- Bespoke FATCA, QI and CRS training programs.